Smithfield Homes for Sale
Real Estate in Smithfield, NC
Smithfield, NC has a population of 13,000, is located in Johnston County, and is one of the fastest-growing areas in the state! It is a short 33-minute drive from Raleigh, the capital of North Carolina, and a 3-hour drive to Charlotte. Smithfield is a great place to live! Young professionals and families are looking to Smithfield as a place to call home for its prime location, affordable cost of living, gorgeous landscape, and growing business opportunities.
Smithfield is one of the most popular places to live in Johnston County and it's easy to see why! Smithfield is located just off of Interstate 95 and is known for the Carolina Premium Outlets and the Ava Gardner Museum. Other local attractions include Double Barley Brewing, Dewayne's Boutique Shopping, and the Howell Theatre.
Smithfield NC real estate listings are displayed below and updated multiple times per day via the MLS. If you would like more information on any of these Smithfield North Carolina listings, just click the "Request More Information" button when viewing the details of that property. We can provide you with disclosures, past sales history, dates and prices of homes recently sold nearby, and more.
And, if you haven't already, be sure to register for a free account so that you can receive email alerts whenever new Smithfield listings come on the market. Continue to read to find out why Smithfield, NC is the place for you!
Closed (sold) listings may have been listed and/or sold by a real estate firm other than the firm(s) featured on this website. Closed data is not available until the sale of the property is recorded in the MLS. Home sale data is not an appraisal, CMA, competitive or comparative market analysis, or home valuation of any property.
Affordable Cost of Living & Great Real Estate in Smithfield NC
The cost of living in Smithfield, NC is 7% lower than the average in the state. Smithfield is part of the Raleigh Metropolitan area, with homes for sale representing some of the best value in the triangle area of North Carolina. Whether it is a fixer-upper you are on the hunt for, or an apartment, or a townhome, Smithfield has you covered. When taking into consideration which property type is the best fit for you and your family, it is best to acknowledge your options in choosing the neighborhood that is a perfect fit for you.
Smithfield, NC is part of the Johnston County School District, home to one of the highest amounts of top-rated public schools in North Carolina. Some of the best schools in Smithfield include the following by grade.
- South Smithfield Elementary School. Overall Niche grade of C, Academics grade of C, Diversity grade of A, Teachers grade of B-
- Smithfield Middle School. Overall Niche grade of A, Academics grade of A, Diversity grade of A-, Teachers grade of A+
- Smithfield-Selma High School. Overall Niche grade of B-, Academics grade of C+, Diversity grade of A, Teachers grade of C+, College prep grade of B
Smithfield Rich History
Smithfield, NC was founded in 1777, meaning there is nearly 300 years' worth of history rooted in the town, making that the first town and second county seat in Johnston County. The name of the town was after its location to Smith’s Ferry on the Neuse River, and home to the Johnston County Courthouse. Interestingly enough, there was a significant role the town played during the Civil War by providing camps for General Sherman’s troops.
Points of Interest in Smithfield
Smithfield is nestled along the Neuse River, famous for its abundance of things to do. A popular favorite among the locals is the Ava Gardener Museum. The namesake of the museum was a 1940s actress and singer famous for femme fatale roles, who interestingly enough was once married to Frank Sinatra.
Here are a few other local favorites to visit when in Smithfield:
- Carolina premium outlets. This outlet mall in Smithfield has over 76 stores, and many popular shopping places such as Tommy Hilfiger, Adidas, and Michael Kors.
- The Howell Theater. Open and operating since 1935, this nostalgic theatre continues to show feature films on four screens.
- Double Barley Brewing. This family-owned and operated restaurant has both a taproom and beer garden offering residents and visitors alike brewery tours, as well as a taste of some of the finest handcrafted ales in the area.
The Best Southern Cuisine
If you have a hankering for southern comfort food then you are in luck as Smithfield is serving up some of the best classic southern dishes. From barbecue to fried chicken along with international cuisine, Smithfield has it all! If you love exploring new and upcoming popular places to get good grub, check out what we have for you!
- San Marcos Mexican Restaurant. Dine on the finest Mexican cuisine at San Marcos Mexican Restaurant, where you can enjoy tacos and enchiladas for lunch and dinner. Here, they also offer a daily drink special.
- White Swan BBQ. This restaurant is hailed as one of the best southern fried chicken and BBQ locations. White Swan BBQ has been in operation for 60 years.
- Simple Twist. This classic Sunday Brunch and outdoor seating scene is what this American eatery is famous for! Simple Twist offers its visitors a full bar, taproom, and a menu of classic sports bar foods, such as burgers, sandwiches, salads, and homemade pies.
- Scooter’s Coffee. This drive-thru chain has been serving espresso and many other coffee beverages since the late ‘90s. Scooter’s Coffee also specializes in a variety of smoothies for non-caffeine drinkers, as well as some pretty sweet pastries, to go along with them!
- Cyber Cafe. Not only can you get a caffeine fix at Cyber Cafe, but you can also find an array of delicious lunch items such as soups, sandwiches, and other pastries to satisfy that sweet tooth!
Events and Festivals in Smithfield
The community is stronger than ever when annual events and festivals in Smithfield, NC are in full motion, and prove to be the best means of meeting your neighbors while exploring what the town has to offer. Both Smithfield and Johnston County work together to bring the best events to the area. A most anticipated event is The Smithfield Ham and Yam Festival, an ongoing tradition to honor Smithfield’s agriculture industry. Here, you can find live music along with the best barbecue the South has to offer, as well as ham biscuits, and sweet potato treats. The family is brought together in May to partake in arts and crafts, and pig races!
For more local information on Smithfield, NC, and other surrounding areas, check out our website!